A father’s first dream is hearing someone call him “dad”; his nightmare is never being called dad again.
Will Downing, the man who put soul into music, comes to terms with the death of his only daughter. The grief is incomparable, considering his unconditional love for his daughter.
The Grammy Winner 59-year-old singer faced the toughest challenge of saying an untimely goodbye to his only daughter. But he decided to use his story to highlight the uncomfortable truth of the current generation and spread awareness.
Will Downing: The Legendary Singer
Will Downing is an American singer and songwriter who would swoon the nation with R&B, Jazz, and Soul music. He debuted in 1988 with his first solo album, “Will Downing.”
His voice charted on Billboard charts, and there was never looking back for him. His album, “Love’s the Place to be,” was his best-selling album with 235,00 copies sold in the US.
With a staggering career trajectory and being loved by millions, his All the Man You Need received a Grammy nomination for Best Traditional R&B Album in 2000.
He was honored with the International Association of African-American Music Diamond Award 2002.
But his life was never short of struggles, as he was diagnosed with polymyositis in 2006, which left him bedridden, struggling with mobility, and losing his precious voice for almost a year. Yet he still persevered to release a new album the following year.
Will married Audrey Wheeler but has recently divorced after decades of marriage. But Will’s most invaluable gift is his daughter.
Who Is Will Downing’s Daughter?
Aron Siobhan Downing was born on 12th December 1987 to Will Downing and his wife, Audrey Wheeler. Siobhan has been interested in music since childhood, being exposed to her parents’ musical careers. But they never imagined she would have such a natural talent for singing and a deep understanding of music.
Will fully supported his daughter’s musical ambitions and often used her sweet backup vocals for his jazz music. She continued singing her way through adulthood but was suffering through every melody of life.
What Happened to Will Downing’s Daughter Siobhan?
Will Downing’s presence leads the crowd to cheer for him as the legendary singer enters the Tamron Hall Show. His smile hides a painful message as he sits down to disclose the reason for his daughter’s passing.
Will narrates the day that no parent can even dream of. He received a call from his ex-wife, and Will could instantly sense uneasiness in the aura. He heard a commotion behind her, making him believe someone was in danger.
Audrey expresses her concerns over Siobhan not being in contact for almost 4-5 days now. Will reasons that she goes on this tangent occasionally. He was trying to cope with the possibility of the worst case by remaining optimistic. But Audrey’s words hit the realism too hard when she said that she thinks Siobhan might be dead.
The police went to her place and had to break open the back door as no one answered the door after multiple doorbells. And as soon as they got sight of the room, Audrey couldn’t believe that her daughter was lying dead. She died by su**ide on 11th January 2023, at the very young age of 34.
In retrospect, Downing tries to understand what he lacked as a parent. He reveals that Siobhan suffered through multiple mental illnesses, primarily diagnosed as Bipolar.
She also had episodes of Schizophrenic symptoms. She would go off without contacting anyone for days and then return as if nothing happened. This concerning pattern compelled Will to help his daughter in any way possible, be it a relaxing vacation, a shopping spree, or anything she liked.
But now Will realizes she needed someone to hear her struggles. Siobhan did go to therapy, but Will brings out the point that they tend not to share all their stories due to generational upbringing in black households.
Siobhan’s struggle with depression made Downing contribute to Mental Health Awareness Month. He dedicates his soulful song “Till We Meet Again” to his daughter as he urges parents to try to understand their kids, and it’s not the generation of “Tough Love” anymore.
The late legendary singer Tina Turner also lost her son to mental illness. Will tries to stay strong during the interview to convey his message about the dire need to take mental health seriously.
Here Are a Few Suicide Hotline Numbers/Links That Would Help You Or Your Loved Ones.
The number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline:
988 (1-800-273-8255 will continue to work for some time)
- National Suicide Hotline Counselor: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline website: http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- For the hearing impaired– Lifeline by TTY at 1-800-799-4889
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- The veterans suicide hotline (Veterans Crisis Line): 1-800-273-8255, press 1 or text to 838255 (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week)
- Veterans Crisis Line online chat: https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/get-help/chat
- Veterans Crisis Line website: http://www.veteranscrisisline.net/
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning (LGBTQ) Suicide Hotline (the Trevor Lifeline): 1-866-488-7386 (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week)
- TrevorChat online chat: https://www.thetrevorproject.org/get-help-now(Available 7 days a week (3:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. ET / 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. PT).)
- TrevorText text messaging: Text the word “Trevor” to 1-202-304-1200 (Available on Fridays (4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. ET / 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. PT)
- The Trevor Project website: http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
- Teen suicide hotline (Thursday’s Child National Youth Advocacy Hotline): 1-800-USA-KIDS (872-5437) (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week)
- Thursday’s Child website (lists many additional teen hotlines): http://www.thursdayschild.org/
- You Matter website: https://youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Christian Suicide Prevention website: http://www.christiansuicideprevention.com/
Do you think Mental Health Awareness Month helps the case? What are your opinions on Siobhan’s untimely death?
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.