Counter-Strike 2 is out and officially available for everyone on Steam. The full game is currently free and can be installed as an update to CS: GO. If you never installed CS: GO in the first place, then you will have to download the sequel from its Steam page.
If you’ve played CS: GO prior to downloading CS 2, then all your progress and cosmetics will transfer over, so there are no fears of lost progress. You are not going to lose anything you have paid for, either.
Despite it being an update to the preexisting Counter-Strike: GO, it can still be called a new launch due to the system overhaul. Some huge gameplay changes, including the new smoke grenade physics, have been incorporated. It can fill spaces and can be dispersed by HE grenades.
There are also updates to computer specifications that you need to play the game. During the limited test period, even players with higher specification machines reported performance issues, so let’s kick off with which system specifications are needed for the game before launching into other details.
|NVIDIA GeForce 610M
|NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
|Intel Core i5-750
|Intel Core i7-9700K
|85 GB available space
|Up to Windows 11
The Counter-Strike franchise is renowned for its custom maps that players create. Similarly, in Ciunter-Strike 2, custom Workshop Maps are available, which are levels designed by players using the game’s level editor feature. It’s one of the most popular contents in CS and has led to the creation of many unique paths with new game modes, themes, and rules.
This feature allows players to make the game refreshing despite playing countless times and helps others experience new things in the game. As players aren’t familiar with the custom-created map layout or hiding spots, it offers a fresh challenge to even veterans.
Here are the steps to play a custom Workshop Map in Counter-Strike 2:
- Download the map you want to play that is created by you, an acquaintance, or a community member.
- Paste it into the CS2 maps directory, which is located at “Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\game\csgo\maps” or “Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike 2\game\cs2\maps”.
- Launch Counter Strike 2.
- Open the console command by pressing “~” on your keyboard. If it doesn’t open, then access the ‘Game’ tab via settings and turn the feature on.
- Once the command prompt is open, type: “map %map_name%,” then press enter, replacing “%map_name%” with the actual name of the map that you pasted.
- Next, the console command will provide some auto commands that you need to follow. The custom workshop map should load next.
It would be best to remember that CS: GO maps cannot be uploaded on SC2 due to engine differences. Older maps are incompatible with CS2 due to the valve switch to Source 2.
So now that you know the basics of Counter Strike 2, what are you waiting for? Begin gaming with your friends, and comment below if the instructions were helpful.